8th Grade Language Arts
Welcome to Language Arts class! I am looking forward to working with you this year, as you discover new literature and grow as readers and writers. You will have the opportunity to read a variety of genres of literature this year, both required and self-selected. You will also be engaging in a variety of writing tasks, including narrative, expository, persuasive, and informative essay writing. I know that together we will learn a lot this year!
Please be sure to visit our class website for information about assignments, readings, projects, notes and other resources: mrebecchini.educatorpages.com or leewoodenglish.wikispaces.com
The purpose of this course is to promote academic excellence in English language arts through enriched experiences in literature, writing, speaking, listening, and critical thinking. The course will include the study of traditional and contemporary literature, the application of the writing process to expressive and academic modes with emphasis on preparation for the Florida Writing Assessment Test, the utilization of higher-order reading skills in preparation for the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test in Reading and Writing, and the practice of formal and informal speaking and listening activities. Critical thinking will be incorporated into all components of the course, and activities that illustrate the application of communications skills to daily life and work will be provided.
· Arrive to class on time, with the required materials ready.
· Complete all assignments by the due date. No late work will be accepted unless prior arrangements are made.
· In the event that you are absent when an assignment is due, you must turn it in on the first day that you return to school.
· If you are absent, it is your responsibility to come to me for make-up work.
· Make-up work will only be given to students with excused absences.
· You will treat me and your peers with respect. Disruptive or disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
You will be given a variety of home learning assignments this year. The purpose of these assignments is to reinforce what we learn in class. These assignments will include, but are not limited to, reading of required and independent reading selections, writing assignments and vocabulary work. Failure to complete these assignments will not only negatively affect your grade, but will make it difficult for you to actively participate in class discussions and contribute to your own learning and that of your peers.
Academic grades are based on the Miami Dade County grading scale:
F= 59 or below
1= 0-2 missing assignments
2= 3-5 missing assignments
3= 6 or more missing assignments
Students are expected to behave in a way that is appropriate for the classroom. I strive to make our classroom a safe place where students are free to express themselves, while still respecting the opinions of others. If students regularly engage in disruptive behavior, arrive tardy to class, or are off task, then this impedes the learning of all students. Conduct cuts will be given when students engage in any of these activities.
A= 0-2 conduct cuts
B= 3-4 conduct cuts
C= 5-6 conduct cuts
D= 6-7 conduct cuts
F= 8 or more conduct cuts
1. Be seated and ready to work when the bell rings.
2. Refrain from using profanity.
3. Rude or disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
4. Please raise your hand and ask permission before getting out of your seat.
Failure to comply with the class rules will result in the following consequences:
2. Student/Teacher Conference
3. Parent/guardian contact
4. Referral to an administrator
Required Materials and Supplies:
· Lined Paper
· 3 ring binder (1 inch)
· 2 Composition Books
· Duotang folder with pockets
· #2 Pencils
· 3 Blue or black pens
· 3 Red pens
· Required reading selections (assigned at a later date)
· 1 self-selected novel (to start) for independent reading.
Students are expected to have their materials in class daily.
If at any point in the year you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. You may e-mail me at email@example.com. The school’s phone number is (305)233-7430.
Course information is available at: